Crypto and blockchain technology can be crucial tools that help prevent AI from running amok, says Coinbase
Blockchain technology can be a safeguard that prevents artificial intelligence from running amok, Coinbase said.
Few crypto projects are currently working in AI, but there is a wide range of problems blockchain can solve.
Blockchain can help combat the spread of misinformation and shed light on AI decisions.
The pace of artificial intelligence development has been amazing, but with these advances in generative AI comes a myriad of problems that experts say can only get worse as the technology becomes more sophisticated.
But there may be a roadblock that can easily be set up to prevent the AI from running amok and making our robot overlord nightmares come true. The necessary layer of protection can be the blockchain.
That’s according to Coinbase’s head of research, David Duong, who writes in a new report that blockchain technology can solve problems that are already emerging in the booming AI space, while handling these problems could be a new frontier for crypto-entrepreneurs.
“As applications in AI and blockchain mature, the disruption these technologies represent could lead to areas of collaboration and the emergence of new use cases for crypto to help address specific societal challenges posed by AI,” Duong wrote.
He lists five problems that have emerged with the rise of large language models that power chatbots like ChatGPT, along with solutions for each that blockchain and crypto may be able to solve:
1. Demand for computing resources – Since generative AI relies on huge general-purpose databases to power its large language models, “A system of symbolic incentives and penalties can ensure that the data meets the adequate quality standards that these models need.”
2. Demand for computing resources – Generative AI requires a lot of computing power, and blockchain can help by creating a system where resources are shared. “Decentralized networks of computing power can reward users who volunteer their spare GPUs to help offload some of this computational burden.”
3. Disinformation and disinformation – Fears of AI-powered misinformation campaigns have increased as large language models have the potential to digest false claims and spit them out as facts to users. “Blockchain and non-fungible token (NFT) technology can help combat this by establishing the provenance of images, video, music and other media.”
4. Auditability – AI decisions can be opaque to the average user, and the algorithms are inscrutable. “Integrating blockchain technology into AI models can help make these processes more transparent and allow users to scrutinize the logic and reliability of AI-produced outcomes.”
5. Democratization of AI development and use – Finally, Duong wrote that crypto can make AI more accessible by allowing people to take part in its use and development on a larger scale. “Crypto platforms can help provide a more diverse set of contributions, as well as redistribute access so that more users can benefit from the benefits (e.g. health advice or e-commerce).”
Read the original article on Business Insider